Friday 22 May 2015

OUGD603 End of Module Evaluation

What skills have you developed throughout this module and how effectively have you applied them?

This module has helped me to establish myself as an independent and confident Graphic Designer. I have attempted a broad range of new challenges this year, with results even better than I had hoped for. I had made it my mission to attempt a rang of briefs, which would encourage me to leave my comfort zone including exhibiting work in a central Leeds location, organising an event and all of the branding to go with it. Putting myself into these new situations has taught me a new range of skills and solutions to solving multiple design challenges.

The structure of this module has encouraged a full sense of independence - something, which I often tend to lack in. Towards the beginning of the year, I felt slightly intimidated at the thought of writing all of my own briefs. I had not had much practice in this, so I found it difficult to begin with. Over the duration of the module, I have developed a systematic order in approaching briefs. I became completely aware of my methodology through my research publication. For me, this was a large turning point in my time on the course. It seemed as though the past three years had finally come together. This was a pleasant surprise as I had originally been concerned about what to do for the my publication. 

Throughout this module, I have become more efficient with time. I have managed to to develop a broad style of work, which aims to showcase my range of design skills. I have learnt to work efficiently with different groups of people. Each project has given me a new insight into different areas of design.


What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have tried my best to attempt new methods of design such as hand-drawn aspects. I have become increasingly interested in typography and I think this is shown in my more recent projects such as Rox Vox Jewellery, Beyond and Goodtype. I think this has brought a more personal feel to my portfolio of work. I have pushed myself to work in new environments, with new collaborations and really benefitted from this.

I feel as though the independent nature of this module has really helped me to figure out the best pathway and work ethic for my work. I feel more able to contact professionals, and realised the benefit of seeking as much advice from others around me as possible.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My attitude towards graphic design has completely changed. Whereas I previously felt reluctant to present my ideas with confidence or pride, I now feel as though I understand the best manner and tone of voice to use, which ensures a clear communication with the target audience. Considering the target audience has proven to be a crucial aspect of informing decisions. It has completely transformed my projects. Working with others has also taught me to be patient, but to that putting in extra time and effort can really pay off.

I now feel ready to approach the world of work. Whereas before, I wasn't sure if I was as good as others, I have become more sure of my method of working. Having the self-belief in everything you do is really crucial if you want others to believe it too.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

At times, I find myself working at a slower pace than I would like to. It would be great to work on this and over time make faster decisions. It was great working on some of the shorter briefs for this reason. I would have also liked to gather more primary research for certain briefs as this would have added a new perspective to the outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment